Happy Birthday, Bubba.

Hello Loverlies,

This is without a doubt the most personal entry I've ever written for this blog, as in most of my stuff I try to be witty and lighthearted while showing you cute little DIY projects for your home, this post is something entirely different. Today's post isn't related to crafting or decor, it does include baking... but the true meaning of this post is much more than that.

Today my little brother would've turned 24, but he passed five years ago and will always be eighteen years old.
My brother was everything to me... he was my safe haven, practical joker, and movie trivia buff. He was all those things and more. He was my best friend from the time he was born. I can still remember seeing him for the first time in the nursery window while I pointed to him and proclaimed to anyone who would listen that "THAT ONE is my brother". We shared eighteen years of laughter, sibling squabbles, and countless memories. He had an infectious smile and giving spirit. He loved all animals, Mickey Mouse memorabilia, John Wayne westerns, and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Despite having muscular dystrophy and being confined to a wheelchair, he was the most positive person I've ever known. The world would be a much better place if more people adopted that attitude and let go of the drama. Even though he's gone and I can't physically give him the birthday hug that I wish I could, I know that it's the memories that keep him alive in my heart.

Every year on October 14th, I try to do something special in his memory. Sometimes it's knitting a monkey, painting a watercolor in his name or cooking one of his favorite meals. It helps to keep me busy and slightly distracted. This year I found a recipe for some cupcakes I know he would have LOVED! They're DOUBLE REESE'S CUPCAKES, and they are exactly what they sound like... diabetes.

It's a pretty straightforward approach to deliciousness, if you're a peanut butter fan then you definitely have to try these! The homemade frosting is worth it all on it's own.  The recipe makes enough for 18 servings... so what am I gonna do with all these cupcakes? Let's just say that my co-workers and neighbors are about to love me beyond measure!

It looks like I pigged out...
 
A beautiful end result!

There you have it. The story of why I not-so-randomly decided to bake 18 cupcakes today. I hope you test out the recipe for yourself, enjoy and let me know what you think! Also, if you're lucky enough to have a brother or sister, give them a call just to say hi. They'll appreciate it, so will you.

-Dottie

If you'd like to check out the recipe for yourself, you can follow the link http://spicysouthernkitchen.com/reeses-cupcakes/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mermaid Tears Scarf

An Easy as Pie Pineapple Upside Down Cake

A Crochet Aviator Hat for My Airman!